None of us could have anticipated the speed and degree with which COVID-19 (coronavirus) is spreading, affecting the well-being of so many people around the world, impacting businesses and catching us all off guard.
We all look forward to the day when this pandemic is over but understand that this will likely have some lasting and permanent changes. To provide the information and support that you may need in this uncertain time, we have assembled this resources page that includes our own content and third-party content that you may find helpful. This page will be updated regularly.
- 6/23: avoiding layoffs and cutting expenses with rapid deployment. Listen Now
- 5/27: reopening your workplace: HR guidelines, strategies and next practices. Listen Now
- 5/5: resilience while working from home: modeling executive presence. Listen Now
- 4/23: protect your employer brand during times of crisis. (Joint webinar with Randstad.) Listen Now
- 4/21: coaching techniques and energizing your team through virtual leadership. Listen Now
- sourcing and recruiting in a virtual environment
Learn how to move your in-person sourcing, screening, recruitment and onboarding events online.
- HR leadership during a crisis: How to remain personally resilient
Executive coach Emma Garrett provides strategies and tactics for remaining resilient and effective so you can be the best version of yourself.
- leading remotely in times of uncertainty.
Learn 10 tips for successfully leading virtual teams in this on-demand webinar from Randstad.
blogs & vlogs
- how rapid redeployment can help companies avid layoffs and decrease costs.
Looking for ways to keep employees during the pandemic-induced recession can strengthen your workforce and employer brand while also reducing costs associated with reductions in force.
- how leaders can communicate with transparency during a crisis.
How to be truthful and transparent when the answers aren’t necessarily clear.
- HR leaders: try this scenario planning 'hack.'
Use this familiar tool for scenario planning.
- HR leaders: master the art of being fully present.
Build resilience by learning how to be fully present with employees.
- HR leaders: focus on what’s in your control.
Learn how to focus on what you can change.
- best practices for conducting a virtual notification meeting.
If a reduction in force is unavoidable, you can ease the difficulty of conducting notification meetings by following these steps.
- how to build healthier work environments.
Timeless wisdom for ensuring productive relationships that empower individuals through shared accountability.
managing emotions around COVID-19: use this 7-step model for resiliency.
Learn how to manage stress and build the skill of resiliency.
- leading through crisis – 8 tips for navigating turbulent times.
Timeless insights on inspiring your teams to rise to the occasion.
- how to build resilience in organizations undergoing change.
While originally written for organizations undergoing layoffs, the same guidelines are applicable for companies experiencing massive change due to the pandemic.
- leading remotely in times of uncertainty.
Ten tips for leading virtual teams (complements the eponymous Randstad webinar).
resources from the randstad network
- coronavirus resource center for employers
Tools, best practices and resources to keep your people safe.
- managing your employer brand during a crisis.
Consider how your employer brand strategy fits into your response to the COVID-19 crisis, whether you need to hire, implement a reduction in force or take an action in-between.
- randstad digital toolkit for challenging times.
Rapidly deployed, free and cost-minimized solutions to help companies and employees get back to work.
- randstad sourceright
Resource center with Q&As, best practices and webinars from our RPO and MSP sister company.
- Safely back to work in the new normal
Randstad has partnered with other HR services leaders to create an alliance to help organizations plan the return to work. More in an open letter and details in an accompanying white paper.
resources for SMBs
- a guide to conducting compassionate layoffs.
Planning and best practices to help small businesses that are considering a workforce reduction.
- how to create a small company workplace culture
Way to protect your employees and your brand, even in times of adversity.
- 8 tips for handling layoffs
Letting your employees go can be gut-wrenching. Here are steps you can take to demonstrate care and maintain well-being.
helpful information from around the web
- How to Brainstorm – Remotely
How to generate great ideas collaboratively when working remotely.
- Does Your Company Have a Long-term Plan for Remote Work?
How to use ‘future-back' thinking to determine your organization’s aspirational vision for remote work in the long term.
- Designing an engaging communications strategy that works
Ways to adjust your communication strategy to maintain employee engagement and a positive employee experience.
- Is Working Remote a Blessing or Burden? Weighing the Pros and Cons
Data from multiple studies shows a mixed bag.
- Move to virtual workflows post-pandemic may damage trust, cohesion among workers
Effective virtual teams operate within a psychologically safe climate, and share skills, experience and knowledge freely.
- ‘Work from home’ is here to stay and should look like this: Silicon Valley CEO
Why working from home is an opportunity and how companies can manage it.
- How will COVID-19 change the way we work?
What are the trade-offs of remote work? Even if employees can work remotely, there may times when it makes more sense to come to the office.
- Team building exercises have never been more important
Promote a positive culture and morale, which in turn can improve productivity.
- 13 Home Office Upgrades You Need If You Work Remotely
These upgrades pay for themselves in health, happiness, and productivity.
- The Remote Working Parent’s Survival Guide
Lessons in work-life balance for remote working parents *and* their companies
returning to work
- Rethinking Smart Workplaces in Uncertain Times
Guiding principles for managing workplaces, predictions for the future of work and ideas for adjusting your long-term workplace strategy
- The future of work will be more remote, digital, healthier and safer
Future of work and virtual workplaces expert Dan Schawbel shares insights on the future of work and the workplace challenges it will bring.
- 6 Trends That Will Stay With Us Post COVID 19
How HR leaders can heighten the employee experience in light of changes to employee expectations and ways of working resulting from the pandemic.
- Return-to-Workplace Guide for HR Leaders
For HR leaders engaged in return-to-workplace decisions, the focus is on employee health, welfare and safety, and requires flexibility and empathy.
- Return to the Workplace Checklist from i4cp
- From now on, every company must become a digital health company
A to-do list for caring for the health of your employees and customers.
- The Coronavirus Employer Resource Center
Comprehensive 'next practices' for returning to work and more from the Institute for Corporate Productivity, a human capital research think tank focused on high-performance organizations.
- The post-pandemic workplace will hardly look like the one we left behind
From reconfiguring office layouts and using temperature scanners to installing sensors and deploying apps for contact tracing, businesses are rethinking the workplace of the future.
- What your workplace will look like in a post COVID-19 world
Ideas about office redesign for healthier and more productive workplaces.
- What Will Reopening Workplaces Look Like?
An overview of the measures businesses will need to consider when bringing their employees back to the workplace.
- How to restart the economy with a post-pandemic workforce
Three steps to getting back to business from MIT’s Sloan School of Management.
- Our Offices Will Never Be the Same After COVID-19. Here’s What They Could Look Like.
The ‘six-foot office’ concept developed by commercial real estate company Cushman & Wakefield.
impact to business and the economy
- Ready, set, go: Reinventing the organization for speed in the post-COVID-19 era
Nine ways companies can get faster in the era of adaptability.
- Digital strategy in a time of crisis
The pandemic will likely accelerate the pace of digital transformation.
- SHRM COVID-19 Resource Center
Comprehensive source with articles, HR forms, webcasts, and more (SHRM membership required).
- Coronavirus poses 5 major risks to employers
‘People risk’ is among the five. Learn the initiatives to consider to reduce this risk.
- The Coronavirus Pandemic is Changing Work Forever
Expect an accelerated digital transformation, a shift in roles at every level in the organization and a new barometer for measuring performance in the ‘next normal’ according to a senior fellow at the Harvard Business School.
- What Will Work-Life Balance Look Like After the Pandemic?
Why the pandemic calls for reexamining how work is done and why this matters to business.
- How You Handle Restructuring and Layoffs Will Shape Your Story—and Success—Beyond the Pandemic
Best practices and considerations for conducting reductions in force.
- McKinsey Report: COVID-19: Implications for business
The coronavirus outbreak is first and foremost a human tragedy, affecting hundreds of thousands of people. It is also having a growing impact on the global economy.
- The Conference Board: COVID-19 Implications for Business
A 360° view of implications for business and insights on what’s ahead.
- World Economic Forum Resource Center
Global views and news.
- Harvard Business Review (HBR) Resources Page
A plethora of resources: From self management to crisis management, leadership, the economy and more.
- How The Coronavirus Pandemic Is Accelerating The Future of Work
Peek into the future. The pandemic is revealing how being nimble, inspiring workforces and having the capacity to be inventive is the path forward.
- Startup World and Funding
Daily update on where investments are happening in business.
- PwC COVID-19 digital assessment tool
A digital tool that assesses your organization’s readiness in crisis management and response; workforce; operations and supply chain; finance and liquidity; tax and trade; and strategy and brand.
- Ernst & Young: Crisis Management Essentials
Five steps every business should take and 10 questions to rule out crisis paralysis.
- Great Places to Work COVID-19 Resource Library
Contains COVID-19 tips on safe workplaces, work-life balance, tuning in to your employees and more.
- 5 shifts to build workforce resilience
HR can play a significant role in promoting five key shifts – all workforce strategies – to build organizational resilience and accelerate the future of work.
- How the pandemic is changing employee recognition
COVID-19 is requiring more frequent and in-the-moment points of recognition and gratitude to keep employees engaged.
- Is Your Employer Value Proposition Still Relevant?
The definition of the workplace has changed with the pandemic, and along with it, the needs and values of your employees.
- As COVID-19 Continues, Employees Are Feeling Less Prepared
According to Gallup, employees are feeling less prepared and informed now. What can HR leaders do to reverse the slide?
- Rallying Together in Challenging Times: The Importance of Rebuilding a Sense of Community to Help Organizations Recover
The five steps HR leaders can take to rebuild a sense of community and main cohesiveness and engagement among employees.
- How to boost employee experience during a crisis
Best practices businesses can adopt to manage the employee experience during a time of crisis.
- Why vulnerability will be a key trait for leaders-post-COVID-19
Courage, honesty, transparency and relatability are among the many positive traits attributed to leaders willing to shown vulnerability.
- 3 ways to keep your team together in critical times
How to maintain a functional and effective workforce in the pandemic’s new normal.
- HR leadership: five trends for the post-pandemic workplace
The five trends HR should be thinking about in light of how the pandemic has affected people’s values, workplaces and the ways companies must conduct business.
- 4 things your company can do now to be ready for the future of work
New practices to attract, engage and retain your workforce.
- How to improve equity in advancement, training and talent development
The focus on racial inequalities in combination with the workforce challenges brought on by the pandemic require L&D leaders to double down on ensuring equity among all employees.
- From thinking about the next normal to making it work: What to stop, start and accelerate
Seven actions to consider, several of which involve HR.
- The COVID-19 Corporate Response Tracker
Actions and best practices of America’s 100 largest companies in response to the pandemic. This site includes bi-weekly polling data and a newsletter round-up of ‘must-read’ content.
- Coronavirus: Leading through the crisis
Resource center providing insights on how organizations can respond and what happens next.
- Reimagining the post-pandemic organization
The post-pandemic organization will take shape along three dimensions: purpose, value and culture.
- Gallup Workplace
A collection of articles covering workplace culture, communications, resilience, employee development, employee well-being and more during the pandemic.
- More Than a Diversity Quota: How HR Can Foster Real Inclusivity at Work
How HR leaders can foster a culture of inclusivity at a time when the possibility of disconnectedness is higher because employees are working remotely.
- Leaders, Do You Have a Clear Vision for the Post-Crisis Future?
Being prepared for a different future requires planning now.
- Search Inside Yourself Leadership Institute
Navigating these Times with Mindfulness & Compassion.
- Ten Words Leaders Should Avoid When Discussing Coronavirus
The general rule when discussing scary topics is to be factual.
- Top legal considerations of COVID-19 for employers (infographic)
Legal requirements to follow to protect your employees and your business.
- Seyfarth COVID-19 Resource Center: Legal considerations, business risks and legislative updates
Regular updates on economic stimulus, family leave, employee benefits, executive compensation, workforce reduction obligations and more.
- Baker McKenzie Coronavirus Resource Center
Comprehensive, global legal resources covering employer and employee obligations, including financial regulatory and enforcement issues, data privacy and business continuity plans.
- Kindercare: Talking With Children about Coronavirus
Help kids process coronavirus information in three simple steps.
- How to homeschool and work from home
Real-world suggestions about how to schedule your children, their schooling, and your own work while everyone is at home.
health and wellness
- COVID-19 puts spotlight on well-being efforts
High-performing companies focus on six elements of well-being
- The dark side of working from home: loneliness
Regular team meetings just for socializing and one-on-one check-ins from managers can head-off declines in performance and commitment that can result from social isolation.
- Mindset Matters: Cracking the Code
Creating a healthy work culture may require a needs assessment to manage the mental well-being of employees.
- Wellness Council of America
Resources for employees and employers to assist with employee wellness and organizational performance.
- CDC stress and coping
General guidelines and additional resources, including helplines.
Top-rated app for mental fitness and well-being with individual and business options, and limited access for free.
- Staying physically active during the pandemic
Resources to help you stay physically active from the American College of Sports Medicine.
- Spotify Playlists for Quarantine
- Good News Network
Balance your news feed with good news with a positive focus.
facts about the spread of the virus
- How Exactly Do You Catch Covid-19? There is a Growing Consensus.
What the latest research reveals about how the novel coronavirus spreads.
Infographics and real-time statistics on the virus.
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
Includes real-time global updates from reliable sources.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)