None of us could have anticipated the speed and degree with which COVID-19 (coronavirus) is spreading, affecting the well-being of so many people around the world, impacting businesses and catching us all off guard.
We all look forward to the day when this pandemic is over but understand that this will likely have some lasting and permanent changes. To provide the information and support that you may need in this uncertain time, we have assembled this resources page that includes our own content and third-party content that you may find helpful. This page will be updated regularly.
- 5/27: reopening your workplace: HR guidelines, strategies and next practices. Listen Now
- 5/5: resilience while working from home: modeling executive presence. Listen Now
- 4/23: protect your employer brand during times of crisis. (Joint webinar with Randstad.) Listen Now
- 4/21: coaching techniques and energizing your team through virtual leadership. Listen Now
- sourcing and recruiting in a virtual environment
Learn how to move your in-person sourcing, screening, recruitment and onboarding events online.
- HR leadership during a crisis: How to remain personally resilient
Executive coach Emma Garrett provides strategies and tactics for remaining resilient and effective so you can be the best version of yourself.
- leading remotely in times of uncertainty.
Learn 10 tips for successfully leading virtual teams in this on-demand webinar from Randstad.
blogs & vlogs
- HR leaders: try this scenario planning 'hack.'
Use this familiar tool for scenario planning.
- HR leaders: master the art of being fully present.
Build resilience by learning how to be fully present with employees.
- HR leaders: focus on what’s in your control.
Learn how to focus on what you can change.
- best practices for conducting a virtual notification meeting.
If a reduction in force is unavoidable, you can ease the difficulty of conducting notification meetings by following these steps.
- how to build healthier work environments.
Timeless wisdom for ensuring productive relationships that empower individuals through shared accountability.
- how to use the science of perfect timing for better team performance.
Author and speaker Daniel Pink offers insights about how to optimize performance by synching up your internal clock with the type of task and time of day.
managing emotions around COVID-19: use this 7-step model for resiliency.
Learn how to manage stress and build the skill of resiliency.
- leading through crisis – 8 tips for navigating turbulent times.
Timeless insights on inspiring your teams to rise to the occasion.
- how to build resilience in organizations undergoing change.
While originally written for organizations undergoing layoffs, the same guidelines are applicable for companies experiencing massive change due to the pandemic.
- leading remotely in times of uncertainty.
Ten tips for leading virtual teams (complements the eponymous Randstad webinar).
resources from the randstad network
- coronavirus resource center for employers
Tools, best practices and resources to keep your people safe.
- managing your employer brand during a crisis.
Consider how your employer brand strategy fits into your response to the COVID-19 crisis, whether you need to hire, implement a reduction in force or take an action in-between.
- randstad digital toolkit for challenging times.
Rapidly deployed, free and cost-minimized solutions to help companies and employees get back to work.
- randstad sourceright
Resource center with Q&As, best practices and webinars from our RPO and MSP sister company.
- Safely back to work in the new normal
Randstad has partnered with other HR services leaders to create an alliance to help organizations plan the return to work. More in an open letter and details in an accompanying white paper.
resources for SMBs
- a guide to conducting compassionate layoffs.
Planning and best practices to help small businesses that are considering a workforce reduction.
- how to create a small company workplace culture
Way to protect your employees and your brand, even in times of adversity.
- 8 tips for handling layoffs
Letting your employees go can be gut-wrenching. Here are steps you can take to demonstrate care and maintain well-being.
helpful information from around the web
- ‘Work from home’ is here to stay and should look like this: Silicon Valley CEO
Why working from home is an opportunity and how companies can manage it.
- How will COVID-19 change the way we work?
What are the trade-offs of remote work? Even if employees can work remotely, there may times when it makes more sense to come to the office.
- Team building exercises have never been more important
Promote a positive culture and morale, which in turn can improve productivity.
- 13 Home Office Upgrades You Need If You Work Remotely
These upgrades pay for themselves in health, happiness, and productivity.
- The Remote Working Parent’s Survival Guide
Lessons in work-life balance for remote working parents *and* their companies
returning to work
- CDC Workplace Decision Tree
Guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention outlining actions employers should take before reopening.
- The future of work will be more remote, digital, healthier and safer
Future of work and virtual workplaces expert Dan Schawbel shares insights on the future of work and the workplace challenges it will bring.
- 6 Trends That Will Stay With Us Post COVID 19
How HR leaders can heighten the employee experience in light of changes to employee expectations and ways of working resulting from the pandemic.
- Return-to-Workplace Guide for HR Leaders
For HR leaders engaged in return-to-workplace decisions, the focus is on employee health, welfare and safety, and requires flexibility and empathy.
- Return to the Workplace Checklist from i4cp
- From now on, every company must become a digital health company
A to-do list for caring for the health of your employees and customers.
- Most employers still working on return-to-work plan, survey finds
Over half of companies are working on a plan, and most expect to offer some form of protective equipment.
- Wearables could be key to worker safety as warehouses, manufacturers look to reopen
How companies are thinking about technology to keep workers safe.
- An epidemiologist on what steps to take if you are preparing to reopen your business
Circumstances to consider for keeping employees and customers safe.
- Return to work plans, HR risks to weigh, crisis lessons from Parenthood, and more
A round-up of crisis communications news from Ragan’s PR Daily.
- The Coronavirus Employer Resource Center
Comprehensive 'next practices' for returning to work and more from the Institute for Corporate Productivity, a human capital research think tank focused on high-performance organizations.
- The i4cp Productivity Blog
Notes from weekly CHRO/HR strategy action calls.
- The post-pandemic workplace will hardly look like the one we left behind
From reconfiguring office layouts and using temperature scanners to installing sensors and deploying apps for contact tracing, businesses are rethinking the workplace of the future.
- What your workplace will look like in a post COVID-19 world
Ideas about office redesign for healthier and more productive workplaces.
- What Will Reopening Workplaces Look Like?
An overview of the measures businesses will need to consider when bringing their employees back to the workplace.
- How to restart the economy with a post-pandemic workforce
Three steps to getting back to business from MIT’s Sloan School of Management.
- How the biggest companies in the world are preparing to bring back their workforce
Back to work plans will be dependent upon many factors, among them geography, industry, demand, child care access, school openings, and risk to corporate reputation.
- Our Offices Will Never Be the Same After COVID-19. Here’s What They Could Look Like.
The ‘six-foot office’ concept developed by commercial real estate company Cushman & Wakefield.
impact to business and the economy
- Digital strategy in a time of crisis
The pandemic will likely accelerate the pace of digital transformation.
- SHRM COVID-19 Resource Center
Comprehensive source with articles, HR forms, webcasts, and more (SHRM membership required).
- Coronavirus poses 5 major risks to employers
‘People risk’ is among the five. Learn the initiatives to consider to reduce this risk.
- The Coronavirus Pandemic is Changing Work Forever
Expect an accelerated digital transformation, a shift in roles at every level in the organization and a new barometer for measuring performance in the ‘next normal’ according to a senior fellow at the Harvard Business School.
- Fewer than half of working Americans will have a paycheck in May
The economic fallout anticipated from unemployment going into May.
- COVID-19 is causing employees to work longer and spend more time in meetings
Studies find that employees are working longer, their time is more fragmented and working from home is more stressful than working in the office, all of which may have implications on engagement, productivity and health.
- The retail and hospitality industry and COVID-19: Prepare for the future of work
Factors for retailers and hospitality to consider now and in the post-pandemic environment.
- What Will Work-Life Balance Look Like After the Pandemic?
Why the pandemic calls for reexamining how work is done and why this matters to business.
- How You Handle Restructuring and Layoffs Will Shape Your Story—and Success—Beyond the Pandemic
Best practices and considerations for conducting reductions in force.
- The Places a Covid 19 Recession Will Likely Hit Hardest
Employment geography of industries vulnerable to disruption by virus-related demand declines, shutdowns and layoffs, published 3.17.20.
- McKinsey Report: COVID-19: Implications for business
The coronavirus outbreak is first and foremost a human tragedy, affecting hundreds of thousands of people. It is also having a growing impact on the global economy.
- The Conference Board: COVID-19 Implications for Business
A 360° view of implications for business and insights on what’s ahead.
- Guide to business continuity planning during coronavirus
This guide offers information on the effect of the coronavirus on enterprises and the need for pandemic and business continuity planning to keep businesses safe and in operation, published 3.17.20.
- COVID-19 Strategies and Policies of the World’s Largest Companies
Wisdom from the CHRO Roundtable, published 3.15.20.
- World Economic Forum Resource Center
Global views and news.
- Harvard Business Review (HBR) Resources Page
A plethora of resources: From self management to crisis management, leadership, the economy and more.
- How The Coronavirus Pandemic Is Accelerating The Future of Work
Peek into the future. The pandemic is revealing how being nimble, inspiring workforces and having the capacity to be inventive is the path forward.
- Startup World and Funding
Daily update on where investments are happening in business.
- Viewpoint: The Coronavirus Crisis Doesn’t Have to Lead to Layoffs
How to communicate change to employees and creative ways to lower costs rather than lay off employees, published 3.25.20
- PwC COVID-19 digital assessment tool
A digital tool that assesses your organization’s readiness in crisis management and response; workforce; operations and supply chain; finance and liquidity; tax and trade; and strategy and brand.
- Ernst & Young: Crisis Management Essentials
Five steps every business should take and 10 questions to rule out crisis paralysis.
- Great Places to Work COVID-19 Resource Library
Contains COVID-19 tips on safe workplaces, work-life balance, tuning in to your employees and more.
- The COVID-19 Corporate Response Tracker
Actions and best practices of America’s 100 largest companies in response to the pandemic. This site includes bi-weekly polling data and a newsletter round-up of ‘must-read’ content.
- Coronavirus: Leading through the crisis
Resource center providing insights on how organizations can respond and what happens next.
- Reimagining the post-pandemic organization
The post-pandemic organization will take shape along three dimensions: purpose, value and culture.
- Gallup Workplace
A collection of articles covering workplace culture, communications, resilience, employee development, employee well-being and more during the pandemic.
- More Than a Diversity Quota: How HR Can Foster Real Inclusivity at Work
How HR leaders can foster a culture of inclusivity at a time when the possibility of disconnectedness is higher because employees are working remotely.
- Leaders, Do You Have a Clear Vision for the Post-Crisis Future?
Being prepared for a different future requires planning now.
- Should a Crisis Change Your CEO Succession Plan?
Four questions to consider in a time of crisis.
- McKinsey: The CIO’s moment: Leadership through the first wave of the coronavirus crisis
Where CIOs should focus their efforts in the next 60-90 days, published 3.2020.
- Search Inside Yourself Leadership Institute
Navigating these Times with Mindfulness & Compassion.
- Ten Words Leaders Should Avoid When Discussing Coronavirus
The general rule when discussing scary topics is to be factual.
- Top legal considerations of COVID-19 for employers (infographic)
Legal requirements to follow to protect your employees and your business.
- Facing Potential Liability, Employers Act to Protect Regular Workers from COVID-19
The pitfalls some employers face with providing adequate protections for workers.
- Seyfarth COVID-19 Resource Center: Legal considerations, business risks and legislative updates
Regular updates on economic stimulus, family leave, employee benefits, executive compensation, workforce reduction obligations and more.
- Baker McKenzie Coronavirus Resource Center
Comprehensive, global legal resources covering employer and employee obligations, including financial regulatory and enforcement issues, data privacy and business continuity plans.
- Kindercare: Talking With Children about Coronavirus
Help kids process coronavirus information in three simple steps.
- How to homeschool and work from home
Real-world suggestions about how to schedule your children, their schooling, and your own work while everyone is at home.
health and wellness
- The dark side of working from home: loneliness
Regular team meetings just for socializing and one-on-one check-ins from managers can head-off declines in performance and commitment that can result from social isolation.
- Mindset Matters: Cracking the Code
Creating a healthy work culture may require a needs assessment to manage the mental well-being of employees.
- Wellness Council of America
Resources for employees and employers to assist with employee wellness and organizational performance.
- CDC stress and coping
General guidelines and additional resources, including helplines.
Top-rated app for mental fitness and well-being with individual and business options, and limited access for free.
- Staying physically active during the pandemic
Resources to help you stay physically active from the American College of Sports Medicine.
- Spotify Playlists for Quarantine
- Good News Network
Balance your news feed with good news with a positive focus.
facts about the spread of the virus